Sunday, February 26, 2012

scrabble coasters - a tutorial

The idea behind these coasters came from Etsy (so if you want to buy some head on over there...or shoot me a email and we can talk). I made my husband a set of beer themed coasters (I only had enough scrabble tiles for 3, not 4) for Christmas and loved how they came out. I recently made a set to give a friend that recently got married.


Here is a tutorial if you want to make your own.

Supplies (for 4 coasters)
64 Scrabble tiles (you can get these on Etsy, but I got a much better price from a seller on eCrater)
Super strong glue, I use E-6000
Cork sheet (get a sheet of this at any craft store for about $2)
Exacto knife (and something to cut on)
Mod Podge and paint brush


First - play around with your scrabble tiles to get all of the words you want lined up. Flip tiles over if you want to use two or three letter words.

Second - cut four approx 3.5x4-inch pieces of cork.

Third - place a row of glue on the cork where your first row of tiles will go, place your tiles. Repeat for all rows. Once you have all four rows in place you might have to adjust the tiles a smidge so they all line up. Some tiles are sligtly bigger or smaller but not enough to make a difference.


Fourth - go do something while all of the coasters dry.

Fifth - take an Exacto knife and trim the extra cork as close as you can to the tiles. I use a magazine to cut on  then recycle it when I'm done.


Sixth - Paint 2 layers of Mod Podge on the top and sides of the coasters. Painting the sides will stop any bits of cork from coming off. (FYI - once I have enough Mod Podge on the surface I smooth it out pretty...this photo is a horrible example for Mod Podge technique...).


Let them dry for several hours and you are done!


Enjoy! These coasters make great gifts because they are so personal!

xoxo

1 comment: